Meatballs & Spaghetti
When thinking of kid-friendly fare, it doesn’t get more ‘no-brainer’ than spaghetti and meatballs. But all meatballs are definitely not created equal, whether they’re too dry or they fall apart, or they just don’t taste like anything… meatballs can be hit and miss depending on how you make them. But this recipe from the Adelaide Central Market for spaghetti and meatballs is all hit and no miss with just the right amount of flavour and hidden goodness to please the kiddos and the parentals! The hardest part will probably be cleaning it off their faces afterwards!
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
• 1 tbsp olive oil
• 1 large brown onion, finely diced
• 2 cloves garlic, crushed
• 1 large carrot, peeled & finely diced
• 150g button mushrooms, finely diced
• 700ml bottle tomato passata
• 600g Italian pork sausages
• 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves
• Grated Parmesan cheese
1. Heat half the oil in a large non-stick saute pan over a low heat. Add onion, garlic, carrot and mushroom, stirring to combine. Cover and cook for 10 minutes, or until onion is soft.
2. Meanwhile to make meatballs, squeeze sausage mince out of casing into ½ tablespoon measures and shape into balls. If the mixture is sticky, roll balls with wet hands.
3. Heat remaining oil in a non-stick frying pan over a medium heat. Add meatballs in two batches, cooking for 4-5 minutes and turning regularly until evenly golden. Place meatballs on a plate until required.
4. Add passata and 1 cup water to the onion mixture and increase heat to medium. Add browned meatballs and cook for 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and add basil.
5. Serve meatballs with spaghetti and parmesan.
For more Adelaide Central Market recipes: