RECIPE: BARBECUED SEAFOOD PLATTER WITH LEMON & SAFFRON AIOLI
The Adelaide Central Market has shared with us this perfect Good Friday seafood feast! Crabs, prawns, mussels, squid… the gang’s all there! This is sure to be a crowd pleaser at your Easter long weekend get together!
Preparation time: 30 minutes + marinating time
Cooking time: 15 minutes
- 3 Blue Swimmer crabs, halved
- 500g green prawns, shell on
- 500g mussels, de-bearded
- 2 squid tubes, cleaned, cut into 5cm squares and scored 4 flathead fillets
- 500g Pipi’s, drained
- salt flakes and freshly ground pepper lemon wedges, to serve
- Lemon, chilli & garlic dressing
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 2 long red chilli (optional), deseeded and finely chopped 1⁄2 cup (125ml) lemon juice
- 1 cup (250ml) olive oil
- 1/3 cup parsley leaves, finely chopped
- salt flakes and freshly ground black pepper
- Lemon & saffron aioli
- 1⁄4 cup (60ml) lemon juice
- pinch saffron strands
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 clove garlic, roasted & crushed
- salt flakes and freshly ground black pepper 1⁄2 cup (125ml) olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup (60ml) vegetable oil
- For the dressing, combine garlic, chilli, juice, oil, parsley, salt and pepper together in a medium sized screw top jar. Seal lid firmly, before shaking vigorously to combine.
- Place the prepared seafood in individual bowls and evenly divide half the dressing between the bowls, tossing gently to combine. Cover each bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes, to allow seafood to marinate.
- For the aioli, place lemon juice and saffron together in a small bowl and leave to stand for 5 minutes. Meanwhile, place yolks, mustard, roasted garlic, salt and pepper together in a small food processor and pulse to combine. With the motor going, slowly add oils until mixture becomes thick. Slowly add lemon juice and saffron, blending until combined. Spoon into a serving bowl and set aside until required.
- Preheat barbecue to high.
- Place crab onto the grill or grill plate and cook for 5 minutes each side, or until cooked through. Remove from heat quickly to avoid overcooking and place on a serving platter, cover in foil to keep warm.
- Repeat step 5 with prawns for 2 minutes each side or until cooked through.
- Repeat step 5 with mussels for 2-3 minutes or until mussels start opening.
- Repeat step 5 with marinated squid, pipi’s and fish fillets for 1-2 minutes or until opaque or pipis start opening.
- To serve seafood platter, drizzle remaining dressing over the barbecued seafood and serve with lemon and saffron aioli and lemon wedges.
For more Adelaide Central Market recipes: