ADELAIDE CENTRAL MARKET RECIPES: BLUEBERRY BUTTERMILK PANCAKES WITH LEMON CURD
2 eggs, lightly beaten
2 cups self-raising flour, sifted
1/3 cup caster sugar (75g)
2 cups buttermilk (500ml)
50 g unsalted butter, melted
2 tsp vanilla bean paste
spray oil, for cooking
2 125g punnets blueberries
1/2 cup lemon juice (125ml)
1 tbsp finely grated lemon zest
4 large eggs, lightly whisked and strained
225 g caster sugar
125 g soft, unsalted butter
1. Preheat oven to 120°C (100°C fan-forced) and line a baking tray with baking paper.
2. To make the curd, place all the ingredients together in a non-stick saucepan over a low heat, stirring until the sugar dissolves and the butter melts. Keep stirring the mixture continuously until the curd thickens and is able to coat the back of a wooden spoon. This will take around 10-15 minutes.
3. Once the curd has thickened, pour into sterilised jars and allow to cool. Refrigerate and use within a month.
4. Meanwhile for the pancakes, place the eggs in a large mixing bowl, beat until frothy using an electric mixer.
5. Add the flour, sugar, buttermilk, melted butter and vanilla. Gently beat the mixture until the batter has become smooth.
6. Heat a non-stick frying pan over a medium heat. Lightly grease the frying pan with spray oil.
7. Using a 1/3 cup measure ladle the batter into the centre of the pan and evenly scatter over 1 tbsp of blueberries for each pancake.
8. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until bubbles form on the surface and the batter is set.
9. Using a spatula, carefully flip each pancake and cook until golden brown about 2 minutes. Repeat process with the remaining batter.
10. Transfer pancakes to prepared baking tray and place in preheated oven, to keep warm whilst cooking the remaining pancakes.
Serve pancakes with lemon curd and scatter over the remaining fresh blueberries.
For more recipes visit adelaidecentralmarket.com.au/recipe