A Season of Magic and Joy
The home of Rundle Mall, Adelaide Central Market, the Giant Santa, the Christmas tree and so much more!
The weeks leading up to Christmas have always seen a thrilling build-up of anticipation as Adelaide gets decked out for the season and families near and far gather to experience a host of magical community events in the city.
From when the ‘Magic Cave’ was established in 1896, to the staging of the very first Christmas Pageant in 1933 and the first Lighting of the Christmas Tree event 18 years ago, the festive season in the City of Adelaide has been synonymous with community celebrations where you can reflect fondly on good times past and make new memories.
This Christmas is no exception. With a packed calendar of festive action that kicks off on 10 November with the brilliant Credit Union Christmas Pageant and will culminate in the annual New Year’s Eve spectacular on Adelaide’s Riverbank, there’s simply no better place to wrap yourself and your loved ones in the spirit of the season than in the city itself.
To ensure you don’t miss a festive trick, we’ve collected all the crucial info you need to make the most of what’s on offer in the city this Christmas 2018.
There’s no place better to experience the magic and joy of the season with friends and family than in the City of Adelaide. As always, there is a huge calendar of events, decorations and festive fun happening throughout November and December including Rundle Mall Christmas Windows and retailer activations, the QBE Carols by Candlelight, the Giant Santa at the Adelaide Central Market and lots more!
1 December, Victoria Square / Tarntanyangga
This year the Lighting of the Christmas Tree in Victoria Square / Tarntanyangga will take place on Saturday 1 December (5pm – 9pm), making it easier for even more people to come along and enjoy an unforgettable evening of free entertainment hosted by Adelady’s own Lauren and Hayley.
• When: 5pm – 9pm
• The Big Switch: The actual Lighting of the Christmas Tree will be at 8.30pm on 1 December. Pushing the giant red button this year will be the Lord Mayor of Adelaide, joined by a lucky family nominated by the South Australian International Day of People with Disability Committee. The lights will turn on nightly from 8.30pm.
• Music: Open-air Christmas Music and Carols start from 5pm with the City of Adelaide Concert Band and members from Adelaide’s leading Gospel Choir, the Gospo Collective.
• Elfy Entertainment: Watch out for Elfspin! See these cheeky Christmas circus elves test-ride unicycles, spin hula hoops and juggle clubs, toys and more.
• Kid Stuff: Free activities include face painting, giant games, the Imagination Playground and roving performers like Bubbles the Elf and two magical dancing Christmas Puddings!
• Food: Select from a smorgasbord of food trucks or enjoy a pre-event meal in the nearby Market Precinct. This is an alcohol-free event.
8 December, 88 O’Connell St, North Adelaide
The annual Tynte Street Christmas Market is joining forces with the bespoke Handmade in Adelaide market for one big family-friendly fair featuring 60+stalls! Free kids’ entertainment, fantastic food and you can even take home a real Christmas Tree.
• When: 4pm-9pm
• Details: 60+ stalls, free kids entertainment, food and festive fun plus take home a real Christmas Tree!
15-23 December, Victoria Square / Tarntanyangga
Free to enter and open daily (4pm – 9pm*) from 15-23 December, ‘Christmas Lights, Christmas Nights’ will see Victoria Square / Tarntanyangga transformed into a festive playground bursting with colour, live music, food trucks, Christmas movie screenings and a sleigh-load of merry-making activities.
*till 10pm on 21 & 22 December
• Sleigh Snaps: The show-stopper will be the life-sized Santa Sleigh and Rudolph the Reindeer display made with over 130,000 LEGO® bricks. Created by local LEGO® enthusiasts from Southern Bricks Lego User Group Inc, this highlight cannot be missed. For the ultimate merry memory, slip into Santa’s Sleigh from 4pm each day and get a pro-photo taken or snap a ‘selfie’ with Rudolph and the Santa Sleigh taken against the spectacular backdrop of the Christmas Tree.
• Catch the Lights: Arrive before 8.30pm to see the Christmas Tree light up nightly!
• Merry Movies: BYO picnic blanket to watch a Christmas classic with Home Alone screening on Friday 21 December and Lego Movie 1 on Saturday 22 December.
• Night Music: Including carols, a Christmas DJ and acoustic tunes.
• Stage Antics: Catch magicians and a range of family shows.
• Games Galore: Enjoy free daily activities: roving Christmas entertainers, Virtual Reality games, side-show games, the Imagination Playground and LEGO® bricks free-play area.
• Festive Food: For an afternoon snack or evening meal, stop by one of the many food trucks.
Christmas Highlights Hitlist
10 November – 13 December
GIANT FATHER CHRISTMAS
Adelaide Central Market, Grote Street side
17 & 24 November and 1, 8 & 15 December
LEIGH STREET CHRISTMAS MARKETS
1pm – 4pm, Leigh Street
LIGHTING OF THE CHRISTMAS TREE
5pm – 9pm, Victoria Square / Tarntanyangga
CAROLS IN THE SQUARE
From 6.30pm, Whitmore Square / Iparrityi
88OC TWILIGHT MARKETS
4pm – 8pm, 88 O’Connell Street, North Adelaide
8 & 22 December
EBENEZER NIGHT MARKETS
5.30pm – 10.30pm, Ebenezer Place
LORD MAYOR’S CHRISTMAS GALA CONCERT
2pm – 4pm, Adelaide Town Hall
QBE INSURANCE CAROLS BY CANDLELIGHT
2pm – 10.15pm, Elder Park
CHRISTMAS LIGHTS, FESTIVE NIGHTS
From 4pm, Victoria Square / Tarntanyangga
MOVIE UNDER THE STARS
88 O’Connell Street, North Adelaide
ADELAIDE NEW YEAR’S EVE
6pm-1am, Elder Park